Irritated by the conversation I had with the young lady earlier today who makes $40 thousand per year and owes $270 thousand in private student loans, I recorded this video.
In it, I break down your options, as I see them, for dealing with that massive amount of private student loan debt with a relatively low income.
The reality is that given a low income, marginal credit and savings, refinancing likely isn’t an option. Neither is negotiating a settlement.
The best you can probably do is set up a payment plan with your loan holder. But the problem is that they’re going to offer you interest only payments for a short period (6-12 months typically).
You’ll make those payments to protect your credit score and your cosigner’s credit score. But those payments aren’t reducing your balance. Just the opposite is happening.
If you’re not cool with that, your only other options are to: (1) stop paying; (2) start an Only Fans account; or (3) file bankruptcy.
Does starting an Only Fans account or filing bankruptcy guarantee you’ll get rid of your student loans? Absolutely not. But if done correctly, some doors may be open to you.
All jokes aside, student loan debt is real. Shit is stressful. There are options. But those options come at a cost.
Negotiating student loan settlements: https://www.tateesq.com/settlement-student-loans
Filing bankruptcy for student loans: https://www.tateesq.com/learn/can-you-file-student-loan-bankruptcy
Schedule free 10-minute call: https://www.tateesq.com/free-talk
- CCC Board Of Governors Meeting | November 2020 Part BThe California Community Colleges Board of Governors sets policy and provides guidance for the 116 colleges that constitute the system. The 17-member board is appointed by the governor and formally interacts with state and federal officials and other organizations. The board selects a chancellor […]
- Why did you choose Haverford?Source: Haverford College […]
- Q: How to stop a student loan garnishment after it starts?In this video, you’ll learn how to stop a student loan wage garnishment after it starts. *************************************** The first step in stopping a student loan wage garnishment is identifying whether you’re being garnished for a private student loan or federal student loan. If […]
- What is College Match?Our experts talk about what a college match is. Choosing a college isn’t a four-year decision; it’s a 40-year decision. From campus to classes, academics to culture, there’s a lot to consider. And, often, students don’t even know what they want in a college experience or how to choose a college. […]
- Between Spring And Summer Movement 2Composer: Daniel Powers Performing group: Blinn College Saxophone Quartet- Under the direction of Mr. Brian Klekar Performers: Denzel Blackmon- Soprano Saxophone Kyle Truss- Alto Saxophone Michael Yocum- Tenor Saxophone Ohany Acosta- Baritone Saxophone Source: Blinn College […]
- When Will Your Student Loan Payments Start Again In 2021 | Student Loan Plannerstudentloanplanner.com Source: Student Loan Planner […]
- Video Game Design Internship OpportunitiesWITCC Online Video Game Design students entering their fourth semester will have an internship opportunity with Mytopia Gameware Institute (MGI). Students will create their own video game from concept to production and work with current MGI professionals to gain valuable experience throughout the […]
- How to Start Your College Application | College CoveredOn top of homework, exams and extracurriculars, the college application process can feel like an overwhelming addition to an already packed schedule. However, if you take charge and prioritize your time, you can find a balance between applying to school and managing your other commitments. You can […]
- (Ep. 116) Is It Ever a Good Idea to Abandon Student Loan Forgiveness?A big focus of our podcast is maximizing loan forgiveness when you owe a lot more than you earn in student loans. But what if your income grew to a point where it would cost more if you stuck with forgiveness? Should you abandon student loan forgiveness? Join me as I discuss all you need to […]
- Taking California Community Colleges to New HeightsThe Fullerton College Drone Lab teaches students to become better and safer pilots in the rapidly-growing drone industry. Students from all industry sectors can learn how drones can help enhance their workplace, while learning to be safer in the skies. Source: California Community Colleges […]
- The Difference Between NCAA Divisions ExplainedOne question we get a lot is what NCAA division level should I play? In this video, our experts explain the NCAA divisions and how to decide which is the best fit for you. https://www.ncsasports.org/best-colleges#division-level TIMECODES 0:55 Show Outline 2:09 The difference between NCAA divisions […]
- Late Night Breakfast!Near the end of each term, on a surprise date, Bennington students are treated to Late Night Breakfast—a welcome break from their studies and stress. The ringing of the Commons bell summons them to the Dining Hall, where faculty and staff serve up breakfast food, and all unwind with music and […]
- Will You Need to Start Making Student Loan Payments Again in September 2021 or Later?When will you need to start making student loan payments again? In this video, we share with you what we think and how you can prepare regardless of date. Let us know what you think by subscribing and commenting! 📒 Show Notes 📒 ✅ New Secretary of Education’s stance ✅ Our thoughts on extension ✅ […]
- What Makes a Good College Essay Topic? | College CoveredOne of the most daunting aspects of the college application process is the college essay. Whether you have to write an open-ended personal statement, a school-specific topic or you’re answering a question from the Common Application’s essay prompts, deciding what you will write about is often the […]
- Automotive TechnologyMike chats with Instructor Shane Sampson on Automotive programs, internships, job outlook, and more. Automotive Technology: www.witcc.edu/programs/25 Auto Collision: www.witcc.edu/programs/24 Source: Western Iowa Tech Community College […]
- WITCC HSED OrientationWITCC High School Equivalency Diploma orientation video. Source: Western Iowa Tech Community College […]
- Bible Translation program at Gordon CollegeMissiologists estimate that some 1,600 languages are still in need of Scripture translation—and they believe it can be accomplished in this generation. The Bible Translation Program at Gordon College offers students the opportunity to join the Missio Dei in achieving this goal and reaching people […]
- Sociology, Social Work, Criminal Justice & MoreMike chats with Instructor Jill Moravek on college access, class options, words of encouragement and more. Criminal Justice – www.witcc.edu/programs/295 Psychology – www.witcc.edu/programs/70 Source: Western Iowa Tech Community College […]
- NCAA Division 1 Extension of In-Person Recruiting until April 15, 2021Our experts discuss the latest NCAA recruiting updates as of Dec 1, 2020 and what recruits need to know in order to adapt. Effective November 18, the NCAA suspension of all in-person recruiting for D1 sports is extended through April 15, 2021. Coaches are not allowed to meet face-to-face with a […]
- Vision in Action: Next Frontier Session 3Source: California Community Colleges […]
- EvCC Foundation – Thank you to our scholarship donorsThe Everett Community College Foundation would like to thank all the generous donors who have helped make the educational dreams of so many of our students come true. Source: Everett Community College […]
- Blinn College Board of Trustees – Board Meeting – November 17, 2020Blinn College Board of Trustees Source: Blinn College […]
- Visiting College – Navigating College AdmissionsQuadrangles, libraries, classrooms . . . oh my! We all have a picture in our minds of what a college campus looks like. We sat down with Zach Evans, Deputy Director of Admissions at UChicago, to talk about why you should visit a campus yourself before you apply. Source: UChicago College Admissions […]
- Bob Whittet Feb 03, 2021Bob Whittet, Chaplain – The Intersection of Faith and Life, James 1 – Gordon College Chapel Source: Gordon College […]
- The Bennington Writing Seminars June 2020 Graduation CeremonySource: Bennington College […]
- Mike chats with WITCC Vice President of Learning Dr. Juline AlbertMike chats with Dr. Juline Albert on goals and going after that degree! Source: Western Iowa Tech Community College […]
- URSI: Lightning Lecture – Ann KarrethSource: Ursinus College […]
- Heritage IntroductionHeritage is a pilot summer enrichment program designed to equip classically-trained students with the tools and zeal to engage with their own education. Through workshops led by Gordon College faculty and cultural outings within the Greater Boston area, students will grow as creative thinkers and […]
- How Great is Our God by the Gordon College Faculty and Staff EnsembleSocially Distanced, United in Spirit. How Great is Our God by the Gordon College faculty and staff ensemble Source: Gordon College […]
- When Should You Refinance Federal Student Loans At 0% Interest? | Student Loan PlannerRead the full article: https://www.studentloanplanner.com/refinance-federal-student-loans/ Source: Student Loan Planner […]
- Sesión informativa sobre GED / HEPEn este video, Beto Espindola y Luis Rodríguez de Portland Community College (PCC) nos hablan sobre dos programas del PCC: – HEP (Programa de Equivalencia a la Preparatoria) para trabajadores del campo (o sus familiares) de Washington County – Clases generales de GED. www.pcc.edu/hep/ […]
- Show Us Your Mask – THANK YOU!
- COVID Q&AMike answers questions from students as to what to expect this semester. Source: Western Iowa Tech Community College […]
- Dr. Jenna Yamasaki Interview"Because I contacted Student Loan Tutor my payment went from $1,500 down to $0!" Dr. Jenna Yamasaki http://bit.ly/2ac1TVk Source: Student Loan Tutor […]
- How has Philadelphia shaped your Haverford experience?Source: Haverford College […]
- Mia Rogers Admit Video
- How Can I Force My Ex To Pay My Student Loan Debt? [3 Minute Mondays]Source: #1 Student Loan Lawyer | Tate Law […]
- CCC President Tim Cook welcomes you to winter termClackamas Community College President Tim Cook would like to welcome all students to the start of winter term 2021! Source: Clackamas Community College […]
- Peruvian Admit: Estefano
- 2021 State Of The College AddressClackamas Community College President Tim Cook delivered his 2021 State of the College address on Jan. 29. Clackamas Community College is home to small class sizes, faculty who are experts in their fields, 11 sports teams and tons of clubs to match your interests. It could be your home, too. […]
- What is a Quiet period?Learn what a quiet period is in NCAA recruiting and what to expect during it. SUMMARY • Get more information about the NCAA Quiet Period https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibility-center/recruiting-rules/quiet-period • Get more information about the NCAA Dead Period: […]
- UCARE’s Katie Turek on Community Service During a PandemicKatie Turek, associate director of UCARE (Ursinus Center for Advocacy, Responsibility and Engagement), discusses the importance of community service and the innovative ways students can help others even while being remote. Source: Ursinus College […]
- CCC Board Of Governors Meeting | September 2020 Part BThe California Community Colleges Board of Governors sets policy and provides guidance for the 115 colleges that constitute the system. The 17-member board is appointed by the governor and formally interacts with state and federal officials and other organizations. The board selects a chancellor […]
- Replay: Student Loans Update 2021 Live Q+AGot questions about what’s going to happen with student loans once President Joe Biden takes office? Want to get control of your student loans going into 2021? In this video, I hosted a live Q+A where people got a chance to ask me their student loan questions. I also share a few tips on […]
- Gordon in Orvieto: Welcome BackIt’s time to return. The Gordon in Orvieto semester program aims to foster responsive looking, listening and creating by engaging the traditions lived out by artists, poets, and saints of the past, especially those of Italy. We choose to encounter places where fragments of the West’s […]
- Alumni Talks: Health SciencesSource: Gordon College […]
- Making a Football Linebacker Skills Video During COVID-19Learn how to make a football linebacker skills video during COVID-19 and what college coaches are looking for at your position/level. Watch our football linebacker expert analyze skills footage and get actionable tips for showcasing the skills coaches want to see in your video. NCSA Recruiting […]
- Dr. Katie Benson DVMMy student loan payment was around $740 a month before Student Loan Tutor. Now it’s around $140 a month. Source: Student Loan Tutor […]
- Odalis Medellin- Dreamers ScholarshipSource: Everett Community College […]
- What to do with your federal student loans in the time of coronavirusLet’s start with this: President Trump’s decision to waive interest on federal student loans is cool, but it don’t really help much. Not when people are still being garnished for their federal student loans. And not when monthly payments are still due. About that last part. If you […]
- (Ep. 117) The Perfect Income for Peak Happiness as a Student Loan Borrower | Student Loan PlannerDo you wonder if you made the right decision to go into the field you did? After investing years of time and effort, along with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt, do you ask yourself “is the grass greener on the other side?” Join me as I take a deep dive into what peak happiness […]
- FreeTaxUSA Review 2021 | Best Bargain Tax SoftwareFreeTaxUSA is again our pick for the best bargain tax software in 2021 due to low prices for investors, business owners, and other DIY-ers. Here’s our full FreeTaxUSA review: https://theci.co/freetaxusa Here’s what we’re talking about in this video: ▶︎ What’s new with […]
- College Applications (Part 1) – Navigating College AdmissonsThere’s a lot that goes into a college application. Each part is one piece of the puzzle. Grace Chapin James, Deputy Director of Admissions at UChicago, talks about the best ways to "cook up" your college application Source: UChicago College Admissions […]
- Free Speech wall dedicationUrsinus College free speech wall dedication in Lower Wismer Source: Ursinus College […]
- How To Find the Best Student Loans And RatesIf you’re considering taking out a student loan, here’s what you need to know to find the best student loans with the lowest rates. Learn more in our full article here: https://theci.co/beststudentloansyoutube Here’s what we’re talking about in this video: ▶︎ Federal vs. […]
- Teaching During COVID-19 and the Power of GivingDon’t miss the chance to hear from two of our faculty members: Monica Chu, ’98 UC alumna and Chemistry Lecturer, and Nicholas Scoville, Joseph Beardwood III, Chair of Mathematics and Associate Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science. We would like to thank our faculty, staff and students for […]
- Scholarships at UrsinusUrsinus offers a number of merit and specialty scholarships, and we understand that our options can be a lot to take in! In this short but comprehensive video, associate director of admission Sam Carter explains the ins and outs of each opportunity. Source: Ursinus College […]
- Portland Community College President Mark Mitsui’s Election Day MessagePCC President Mark Mitsui addresses the college community about the importance of this moment and underscores the significance in an inclusive democracy of the right to vote. Source: Portland Community College […]
- How to Ace Your First Job Interview After CollegeGetting the opportunity to have an in-person interview is a big deal, so be sure you don’t take it for granted. According to Career Sidekick, the average hiring manager will only invite 2-4 candidates for an in-person interview. Starting the next step in life – your career – can be scary, but don’t […]
- Live Q+A | Pre-Vacation: Loan Forgiveness for Senior Citizens and Teachers, and Credit Score Q’sBefore I went on vacation for the next week, I decide to do one more Live Q+A. This Q+A lasted about 30 minutes. We covered student loan forgiveness for senior citizens, teachers, and everybody at large. We also discussed reopening a bankruptcy case to discharge student loan debt and credit […]